Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring Thing


I was sitting on a cliff at the Northern Point
Strumming my uke instead of smoking a joint
When I was asked by a dark and handsome dude
If I knew the tabs to the Beatles' Hey Jude

Normally I would shy away
But it's kinda lonely being a stray
So I let my guard down just for today
Even if he might later betray

I did not regret my decision to socialize
He liked me even without my disguise

We laughed and played by the fireside
We talked until the embers died
I found it hard to leave his side
I could not lie to him if I tried

How do I tell him I am damaged goods?
I belong to the Club of Stolen Childhoods
I could pretend that was never a part of me
Just rewrite my entire life herstory

I tried to keep it light to get my worries out of the way
"Let's climb tomorrow, I'll be your belay"
"I bought a slightly used grigri on eBay the other day"
I nervously started playing my ukulele

Then I shook my head and opened my eyes
Only then did I finally realize
This social interaction was not a real thing
But I still wonder what happened to my G string

No comments:

Post a Comment